What are Manuals?
Manuals are for the big documents that need indexable sections and pages. Instead of flicking through cabinets or searching PDFs, select and scroll your way through navigable collections of critical knowledge.
We recommend you have the sections of your manual already mapped out before you begin. In the first creation screen, you can add all the sections first then assign the appropriate pages when you create them later.
1. Go to ‘Create’ in the workbar, select ‘Item’ and then ‘Manual’
2. Add title, summary, body and relate the manual to a section
3. Add an image
This image will be displayed through widgets if you select the appropriate widget style, for example:
4. In ‘Workflow’ select ‘Published’
If you do not wish to publish your manual, leave unpublished and enable preview mode to continue editing without users discovering an incomplete version.
5. Add a ‘Manual reference’ e.g. initials of title and 001
6. Add ‘Section name’ e.g. Chapter 1
To add more sections, select the ‘Add another section’ in the white box.
Ignore ‘Add another manual page’ and ‘Section contents’ as you have nothing to add. If you were to add the names of all your manual pages, the information would not be saved because the pages do not exist yet.
7. Add an accurate ‘Review date’
8. Add the ‘Owner’
9. Select ‘Save’
Adding manual pages to sections
1.Go to your manual
2. Select ‘Add manual page’ in the top right corner of the screen
3. Add your title and the content of your manual in the body
4. Style your content using the WYSIWYG editor
5. Add an image if you have one
6. Leave as ‘Draft’ in the workflow if you are not ready to publish the manual page
7. Check that the ‘Manual’ your manual page is assigned to is correct
8. Add ‘Owner’
9. Select ‘Save’
Sorting your manual pages into sections
1. Go to your manual
2. Select ‘Edit’ in the top right corner
3. Scroll down to ‘Sections’
4. Beneath your first manual section, you will find all of your manual pages
5. Do not select ‘Remove page’ on any pages yet
6. Instead, search for and populate each manual section with the correct manual page
Note, you can populate separate manual sections with the same manual pages.
When you’ve sorted your manual pages under the correct section names.
7. Remove the incorrect duplicate pages
8. Add attachments if you have them
For example, it might be a good idea to include a download version of the manual.
9. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select ‘Save’
Now you have added sections and pages, it’s time to design the layout of your manual.