What is targeting?
By targeting your content it will only display for certain users. The targeting-sensitive details are found in a user’s profile and set up in administration by a webmaster.
Section managers in publishing teams must then target certain widgets in their section, before authors, editors and publishers align the details when creating and editing their content types.
When the targeting details match, content is activated and displayed on a per-user basis depending on someone’s team, location, region or role grade.
The targeting details
Team: Authors, editors and publishers can select the team they want to target. Only users who are in the targeted team will see the published content.
Location: Authors, editors and publishers can select the location or locations they want to target. Only users who are in the targeted location/s will see the published content.
Region: Author, editors and publishers can select the region or regions they want to target. Only users who are a region will see the published content.
Role grade: Authors, editors and publishers can select the role grade or grades they want to target. Only users who are a targeted role grade will see the published content.
Whenever a section manager or publisher adds a widget to a section, there are several decisions to make before that widget works properly. There are often 5 categories for a manager to work through, one of which is ‘Target’.
The 7 widgets you can choose to target content through, are:
- Section content
- All content
- Featured content type
- Tags, categories and settings
Guidance on targeting
1. Go to your
2. Select ‘Edit’ ‘Widgets’
2. In the region you want to add a widget too, select the ‘+’ icon
3. Select one of the 7 widgets referenced above
4. Select the ‘Target’ tab
5. Select ‘Teams’, ‘Locations’, ‘Role Grades’, ‘Regions’, leave as ‘None’
6. Select the appropriate target category and choose which team, location, region or role grade in your organisation to target
7. Select ‘Add’ once you are happy with your decisions in ‘Title’, ‘Display’, ‘Filter’ and ‘Sort’ categories
In content types:
1. Go to your workbar
2. Select the ‘Create’ icon and ‘Page’ (for example)
2. Add the title, summary, description as normal
3. Make sure the section your page is related to is the appropriate section if you have filtered your widget
4. Scroll down to the 6 advanced publishing tabs starting, select ‘Target’
5. There are 4 familiar options, again thinking about your widget settings, focus in on the appropriate category
6. And, for example, select the required team from the dropdown menu
10. Select ‘Save’
What happens next
The widget you configured for targeting remains hidden until a user from the appropriate team, location, region, or role grade is viewing the section.
When that happens, their profile details will activate the widget and the content will be displayed. This is incredibly useful for making your site as relevant to your users as possible.
For example, you could create a homepage with ‘Latest news’ showing updates from everywhere, and have ‘Local news’ next to it, with numerous widgets in place to reveal a relevant stream of information for professionals in specific locations.