What is Targeting?
By targeting your content it will only display for certain users.
The targeting-sensitive details in Invotra are found in a user’s profile and set up in administration by a Webmaster.
Managers in publishing teams must then configure a widget in their section, before authors, editors and publishers align the details when creating and editing their items.
When the targeting details match, content is activated and displayed on a per user basis depending on someone’s team, location, region or role grade.
The targeting details
Team: Authors, editors and publishers can select the team (you can only target 1) they want to target. Only users who are in the targeted team will see the published content.
Location: Authors, editors and publishers can select the location or locations they want to target. Only users who are in the targeted location/s will see the published content.
Region: Author, editors and publishers can select the region or regions they want to target. Only users who are a region will see the published content.
Role grade: Authors, editors and publishers can select the role grade or grades they want to target. Only users who are a targeted role grade will see the published content.
Whenever a manager or publisher adds a widget to an area or section, there are several decisions to make before that widget works properly. There are often 5 categories for a manager to work through, one of which is ‘Targeting’.
The 7 widgets you can choose to target content through, are:
- Section content
- Simple content
- Featured content
- Specific blog
- Specific tag
Guidance on targeting
1. Go to your area or section and select ‘In Place Editor’, ‘Customise page
2. In the region you want to add a widget too, select the ‘+’ icon
3. Select one of the 7 widgets referenced above
4. Select the ‘Targeting’ tab
5. Select ‘Team’, ‘Location’, ‘Role Grade’, ‘Region’, or ‘None’
6. Select the location or location you are filtering by and select the two-way arrow icon. Before that, you must: Choose ‘Section filter’ and choose to only show items published to the section you are adding the widget to, filter items published to a different section, or choose ‘no filtration’.
7. Select ‘Continue’ once you are happy with your decisions in ‘Content type’, ‘Styles’ and ‘Sort Criteria’ categories
1. Go to your toolbar, select the ‘Create’ icon and ‘Page’ from the drop down
2. Add the title, summary, description as normal
3. Make sure the ‘section’ in which you locate your item matches up with the ‘Section filter’ configuration in your widget
4. Scroll down to the 7 tabs starting with ‘Organisational’ and select ‘Targeting’
5. There are 4 familiar options, again thinking about your widget configuration, focus in on the appropriate one
6. Select the required team from the dropdown menu
7. Select Location from the dropdown menu, choose to add another and repeat if you want to target several locations
8. Select the Role grade or grades you want to target by highlighting the name and selecting the arrows icon, do this as many times as you need to
9. Select the Region or regions you want to target by highlighting the name and selecting the arrows icon, do this as many times as you need to
10. Select ‘Save’
What happens next
The widget that has been configured for targeting remains hidden until a user from the appropriate team, location, region or role grade is viewing the area or section.
When that happens, their profile details will activate the widget and the content will be displayed in the chosen style. This is incredibly useful for making the intranet as relevant to your users as possible.
For example, you could create a homepage with ‘Latest news’ showing updates from everywhere, and have ‘Local news’ next to it, with numerous widgets in place to reveal a relevant stream of information for professionals in specific locations.